Monday 12 September 2016

Georgina Sprint Triathlon (Turned Duathlon)

You show up to a race thinking you are fully prepared for whatever the day might throw at you.  Then, as if on cue, a situation arises you are completely unprepared for.

This has happened to me a few times this season.  I showed up to a big race with a brand new top of the line wetsuit only to find out I couldn't use it.  I could use a swim skin, but I didn't have one.
I have also had to deal with flatting my tubular disc wheel and finding I was unprepared to fix it.

I took steps to learn from those situations and come into my next races better prepared (i.e. buying a swim skin and having some flat fixing solutions ready to go).

Then I show up to Georgina to race a local event with Multisport Canada, and find out that because of strong winds, I can't use my disc wheel....and I didn't bring a spare.

Racing is all about preparing for situations like this, but it is also about how you react in situations like this.  This weekend, I wouldn't be racing if someone didn't lend me a wheel.  I was unprepared, and the only thing left was how I reacted.  I had to come to terms pretty quickly that I would likely not be racing, and that I had to be ok with that.

The day was saved by a complete stranger (to me) named Mike.  Mike showed up with a high end road bike wheel 10 minutes before the race started and he let me borrow it.  Race or no race, I would have been ok with either, but I was/am so appreciative Mike's generosity to allow me to race.  Thanks Mike!

The Race

So a bit about the race.  It was a duathlon (5km run, 20km bike, 2.5km run) because of strong winds that would have made swimming quite unsafe.  Multisport Canada is always great at adapting to the conditions and still offering people an option on race day, so big thanks to them for putting on a great event!   Alex and Adam were the only other elites in the race, so it was pretty much between the three of us for the win.  The pace started out quite fast on the first run (2:56 for the first km), and stayed pretty high.  Alex came in sub 16 for the first 5 km (with Adam behind him by a bit) and I was about 45-60 seconds back of the lead.


I biked well with Mike's wheel and caught both Alex/Adam at the dismount line.  I beat them both out of transition (the easy on tab of the Skechers go run 4's helped with that speed), but I fell back on the final run to third.  That second run is never a fun one.

Podium finishers!  In my Mettle Multisport shirt
Prior to the race, I had challenged my brother and Dad (who were also racing) to try and beat me.  I had to finish the whole race by the time they finished the first two legs of the race.  They both raced well, but did not end up beating me.  Now we just need to get my Mom to race too....

Whats Up Next??

There are a couple more races I have planned for my 2016 season, and they are big ones!  I'm going to be travelling to Cozumel Mexico for an October 2 race (70.3), and to Los Cabos Mexico for an October 30'th race (also 70.3).

These is my first real go at international racing, and I am looking for your support!  I have started a GoFundMe campaign to help me raise the money for registration, flights, and accommodation.  There is a link at the top of my blog, and also a link here with more details: https://www.gofundme.com/244tweng

I am already 1/4 of the way to my goal and any support you could give would be very appreciated!

A huge thank you to those who have already supported me in this campaign, and to those who have supported me through the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment