Tuesday 28 June 2016

A Rough Day At the Races-Mont Tremblant 70.3

I didn't have a great race in Mont. Tremblant...in fact my race itself was quite dreadful in regards to performance.  My body tightened up about 65km into the bike, and I had a real battle just to finish the rest of the ride.  Then I had to decide if I call it a day, or run a half marathon.  I decided I was going to make it to the finish, which I did, but it was at an embarrassingly slow pace.  There was quite the battle going on in my head during the run, and my thought process was going something like this:  

"Why am I still running"...(then I motivate myself to keep going)"you can do it Andy...keep going"...(run for 100m then)..."why am I still running"  and repeat for 21.1km.

I did eventually finish, and I think I'm better off for it (opposed to calling it quits).  I'm not a fan of dropping out of races, and if I can still move forward without injuring myself (or causing further damage to my body), I'll keep fighting and get it done.

There is a definite need to evaluate my bike ride in the coming weeks...why did I tighten up and what can be done to help with this.  I'll likely be tinkering with my aero position, bike training, and apparel selection in the coming weeks to better prepare myself for 90km in aero position.

Overall however, I had a great weekend.  This race was without a doubt the best race I have ever attended, and I had a ton of fun.  The organization of the event, the venue, and the overall atmosphere were absolutely amazing.  There was so much awesomeness going on at this race, that even though I had a rough day on the race course, I still had a great time and am feeling positive going forward.

Some Photos from the race:

Pre-race photo shoot with Skechers!  I'm third from the left

My setup in transition race morning.  All loaded up with eLoad for what would be a hot race.


Swim start (I am third swimmer from the left).  The plane is approaching

Fighter jet flyover...I really like jets, so this was awesome

We had camera guys on motorbikes snapping photos of us on course!  I was still feeling good at this point.

Mikael, Kristen and I went on the luge after...no problem going fast there!








No comments:

Post a Comment