Tuesday 16 September 2014

MSC Lakeside Sprint Triathlon-3'rd OA

My race in lakeside was my final triathlon of the season, and was a nice way to wrap up the season.  My main competitors Lionel Sanders (The colonel as I have heard him called...or as the Danosaur calls him, Sandburgers...) and Cody Beals (no nicknames I know of yet) were also racing the Sprint, and this made for a pretty competitive race.  

Pre-Race

Race morning on Saturday was probably the worst weather I have had this season (it was super cold and pouring rain).  After a cold race in Edmonton (where I had cramping issues and DNF), I decided it would be wise to wear a bit more than just a thin tri-suit (us skinny folk get cold fast).  I re-searched a few options, and decided to cut out a piece of an emergency blanket to tuck under my suit (to protect from wind, and give some insulation).  Although a bit crinkly, I would highly recommend this in cold weather, and I would definitely do it again.   
This is what convinced me to try the blanket cutout...

Swim

I had been out of the water for the two weeks leading into the race (post season recovery of sorts), so I got a good warm up in, and hoped for the best.  I didn't swim great, but it wasn't awful.  I was fourth out of the water right behind Angela Quick, and maybe 30 seconds behind the leaders.  


Bike

Okay, I have a bit of a confession to make...it's a bit embarrassing but I'm sure you, my faithful blog readers will understand.  I may have forgot I was wearing swim goggles, and may have left them on for the bike ride...I didn't notice until I was already in aero, and there was no way to take them off without stopping, so I just kept going.  Ya...it was kinda weird.
Ya...this happened

The bike was cold, and I was glad I had my insulating layer on (and maybe even glad I had the goggles on....ok not really).  I though I was riding decently until Lionel caught up and passed be like I was standing still.  Turns out I road okay, but Lionel was just on another level and flew through that bike course.  I came into T2 third with Michael Murray (another fast swim/biker) and then went off to run.




Run

With the weather being what it was (freezing cold), I had a fun time getting my shoes on with frozen hands.  Eventually I got going, and was greeted by a mud covered, pothole laden road.  Lionel and Cody were kinda far ahead, so I just held on for third.  I didn't get any abdomen cramping (potentially because of foil layer), but both my calves tightened right up.  Luckily, it wasn't too severe, and I didn't have to stop.


Post Race

It is always great racing with other high level competitors, especially when it is an Ontario race.  The Multisport Canada Triathlon Series has really supported us up and coming athletes the past few years, and it has brought in a good competitive field for local races.  Its awesome mixing it up with other high level athletes who are stronger than myself, and it's always cool catching up with them after the race.
A big thanks also goes out to eLoad who has supported me for the last couple seasons, and helped me out with my nutrition (training and racing).  Great people, great product :)

With another triathlon season in the books, I am turning my attention back to training and school (maybe I should say school and training).  I am going to be racing XC with YorkU, and also swimming with the YorkU team.
School wise, I am starting on my Masters in Fitness Science.  It promises to be an exiting program, and should provide some really cool opportunities (like testing the Leafs this week).

And of course, where would I be without all my awesome blog readers.  Huge thanks for following along and checking out my progress this year.  I'll be back racing next season for sure, so be sure to keep an eye out for my race reports.  I will also have some other cool posts popping up this offseason, so be sure to check in from time to time.
That about wraps it up.  Happy off-season!

No comments:

Post a Comment